Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Saline Fire Department helped battle a blaze at an apartment complex in downtown Milan Wednesday morning.
Wednesday morning firefighters from all over the region were in downtown Milan to fight a fire at Bayview apartments. One resident was treated for smoke inhalation and one firefighter was treated for fatigue. This video features footage taken at the scene Wednesday morning. For the full story and photos, click here
Saline was one of many area fire departments providing aid in downtown Milan Wednesday morning.
One woman was treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter was treated for fatigue as eight fire departments battled an early morning fire at Bay View apartments in downtown Milan Wednesday. (For video footage, click here) Milan Fire Chief Bob Stevens said the department got the call shortly after 1:30 a.m. “When we arrived there was heavy fire and smoke in two apartments on the second floor,” Stevens said. Firefighters struggled to knock down the fire because the apartment complex had multiple roofs and multiple ceilings. The extreme heat was also problematic, Stevens said. “We had to rotate crews in and out quite often,” Stevens said. The fire was under control within two hours he said. At 5 a.m., firefighters were still on the scene…
Saturday, July 7, 2012
A burn ban remains in effect in the Saline Area Fire District.
Fireworks were blamed for at least four fires in the Saline area last week. Saline Fire Chief Craig Hoeft said the department went on four calls for grass fires believed to be caused by fireworks during the week of July 4. “A couple of them were significant enough that we had to spend an hour or more out there cutting down limbs and doing other work at the site,” Hoeft said. A burn ban remains in effect in for the Saline Area Fire District., which includes the City of Saline, Saline Township and parts of Lodi and York townships. “We didn’t get much rain and with temperatures being what they are, it’s still extremely dry out there,” Hoeft said. The Saline Area Fire Department, which serves the City of Saline, Saline Township and parts of …
Friday, June 29, 2012
Saline Fire Chief Craig Hoeft asked people to hold off on fireworks shows or to take extra precautions.
What do you get when you cross a heat wave, abnormally dry conditions, wheat fields in their prime, the Fourth of July and newly relaxed rules on fireworks? A concerned fire chief. A burn ban is already in effect in throughout the Saline Area Fire District, encompassing Saline Township and parts of Lodi and York townships, as well as the City of Saline. With highs expected to remain in the 90s this weekend and July 4 approaching, Fire Chief Craig Hoeft issued a call for people to use caution when setting off fireworks and starting backyard bonfires. “I think it would be best if people wait a couple days so we can get some rain before they start shooting off fireworks,” said Hoeft. “At the very least, people need to be aware of the …
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Due to dry conditions, the Saline Area Fire Department has issued a ban on burning in Saline, York and Lodi townships.
Due to the dry conditions, the Saline Area Fire Department has issued a ban on open burning in Saline, York and Lodi Townships. Salire Fire Chief Craig Hoeft said the dry conditions make open burning a fire hazard. Last Sunday, Saline Area Fire Department responded to a house fire that began as brush burning before it spread to nearby shrubs and then the house. According to Washtenaw County Sheriff's Dep. Keith DeZwaan, who is assigned to York Township, the Milan Area Fire Department has also issued a ban on open burning.
Sunday, June 10, 2012
A family cat was treated for injuries by Huron Valley Ambulance responders.
There were no injuries in a house fire put out by Saline Firefighters in York Township Sunday afternoon. According to Saline Area Fire Department Chief Craig Hoeft, firefighters received the call for a house fire at 1300 Judd Road at 11:59 a.m. When firefighters arrived the outside of the back and side of the home was in flames. Hoeft said the residents were outside when firefighters arrived. The fire was under control 20 minutes after arriving, Hoeft said. Huron Valley Ambulance responders treated a family cat for smoke inhalation. Hoeft said the cat appeared relative unharmed despite taking in a lot of smoke. The cat was treated with special oxygen equipment designed for animals that had been donated to the fire department by Saline …
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
The scholarship is a partnership between the Saline Downtown Merchants Association and the Saline Area Fire Department.
Saline High School graduate Alexis Spatafore is the recipient of this year's The Harvest of the Arts Scholarship. The scholarship is awarded each year to a senior who is continuing their education in the culinary arts. The scholarship is a result of a partnership between the Saline Firefighters and the Saline Downtown Merchants Association for the annual Harvest of the Arts Chili Challenge. This contest pairs a firefighter with a student from Chef Sam Musto’s culinary arts program to conjure up some of the most unique and tasty chili around. The chili teams serve their delicious creations at Oktoberfest and the winners are selected by judges and the general public. Funds for the scholarship are raised through sponsorships for the chili …
Thursday, May 10, 2012
This year, to help Saline Area Social Service, the SAFD will trade their pancake breakfast for non-perishable food items.
The community is invited to attend Firehouse Friday at the Saline Area Fire Department, from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., Friday, May 11. Fire Chief Craig Hoeft said the annual event is a great way to get to know the people in the fire department. This year, the fire department has partnered with Iott Insurance and Ace Hardware to give away several weather radios—radios that automatically turn on or switch to the weather band in case of emergency weather. “After what we saw in Dexter, we’re trying to keep people aware of the different ways they can be prepared for severe weather and tornadoes,” Hoeft said. The American Red Cross will also be at the firehouse providing information about tornado safety. As usual, the Saline firefighters will be …
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Saline's fire chief wants people to be prepared in the event the community is struck by a tornado like the one that hit Dexter March 15.
What’s your family’s plan if Saline experiences a tornado like the one that tore through Dexter March 15? Saline Area Fire Chief Craig Hoeft, who went door-to-door in the search and rescue mission in a Dexter neighborhood torn apart by the tornado, wants everyone in Saline to have a plan. “Every family has a plan if there’s a fire. You get out of the house and meet by the tree. But do you have a plan if there’s a tornado?” Hoeft asked. Hoeft and other Saline firefighters arrived in the Huron Meadows subdivision shortly after the tornado struck. He saw homes ripped from their foundation and other houses ripped in half. “There were houses half missing. You could see right into them. The lights were still on. It looked like a doll house,” …
Sunday, April 8, 2012
On a beautiful spring day, a couple Saline Area Firefighters provided some fun for kids at Mill Pond Park.
A Saline Area Fire Department truck stopped at Mill Pond Park to fill up the tanks Saturday. What resulted was some good, small town fun.