Q. I'm being investigated for a crime, but not charged - what does this mean? This means that the police department is still gathering information on your case. Once the investigation is completed, the information will be turned over to the prosecutor who will determine whether or not to charge you with a crime. The police department may have an influence over the charges, but the final decision is made by the prosecutor.
Q. What's a Pre-Trial - does this mean I'm going to trial? A pre-trial is exactly what it sounds like; it's the court appearance before a trial. You may have 2, 3 or 8 pre-trials, and may or may not have a trial at all. From my experience, about 2 percent of all cases actually go to trial, the other 98 percent are resolved prior to going to trial.
Q. Will I be charged with a misdemeanor or felony? This decision will be made by the prosecutor who will be provided the case information by the police department. If the facts fit a felony crime, then a prosecutor will usually charge you with the highest possible offense. Prosecutors do this to create leverage in negotiation, and may ultimately agree to settle the case for a misdemeanor.
To learn more about your case, and to discuss your options, visit my website: www.michiganlawgrad.com and give me a call 24 hours a day at 248-924-9458.
- Attorney Paul is a former New York City and Michigan Prosecutor. Jonathan graduated from the University of Michigan Law School, and was recently selected by Super Lawyers Magazine as one of the top criminal lawyers in Michigan.
Representing clients in Ann Arbor, Saline, Chelsea, Ypsilanti, Pittsfield Township, Milan, Dexter and other areas of Washtenaw County.
This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.