U.S. Senators Debbie Stabenow and Carl Levin (on Feb. 21) announced support for five fire departments across southeast Michigan to help improve operations and safety.
Senator Stabenow said, "Our firefighters provide brave and crucial services to communities across Southeast Michigan. These grants will provide the resources and tools they need to perform their duties effectively and protect the public."
Senator Levin said, "Our firefighters put their lives on the line every day, and we owe them and the communities they serve all the support we can provide."
The following fire departments were awarded grants:
• Addison Township Fire Department will receive $60,667
• Ann Arbor Township Fire Department will receive $21,318
• Flat Rock Fire Department will receive $114,048
• Frenchtown Charter Township Fire Department will receive $63,776
• Saline Area Fire Department will receive $57,915
The Assistance to Firefighters Grant program is a part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). These competitive grants will help fund professional training and wellness programs, update equipment and facilities, and provide new supplies to help first-responders handle hazards efficiently and effectively. More information about the grants can be found at http://www.fema.gov/welcome-assistance-firefighters-grant-program.