Firefighters Battle Apartment Fire in Milan

Saline was one of many area fire departments providing aid in downtown Milan Wednesday morning.

One woman was treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter was treated for fatigue as eight fire departments battled an early morning fire at Bay View apartments in downtown Milan Wednesday. 

(For video footage, click here)

Milan Fire Chief Bob Stevens said the department got the call shortly after 1:30 a.m.

“When we arrived there was heavy fire and smoke in two apartments on the second floor,” Stevens said.

Firefighters struggled to knock down the fire because the apartment complex had multiple roofs and multiple ceilings. The extreme heat was also problematic, Stevens said.

“We had to rotate crews in and out quite often,” Stevens said.

The fire was under control within two hours he said. At 5 a.m., firefighters were still on the scene, extinguishing fire in the ceilings.

Among the departments providing aid were Saline, Pittsfield, Augusta, Raisinville, Summerfield and Dundee Township.

David Heaven, a 14-year resident of the apartment complex, said it was a difficult night for residents of the normally quiet community.

“I got a knock on the door from a neighbor telling me to get out of the apartment because there was a fire. Now I’m wondering where to go because all my stuff is in the apartment and I can’t go anywhere because my truck is blocked,” Heaven said.

Washtenaw-Lenawee and Monroe chapters of the American Red Cross responded to this incident with nine volunteers assisting 10 families and 20 individuals with food, clothing and shelter.

Stacy Tucker July 23, 2012 at 07:33 PM
max is ok. we all got out alive. he was my neighbor. he is staying wit art patosky right now at the senior center here in town. me max an the girls next door got it the worst. an of course the lady down stairs. where we think it came from.
Stacy Tucker July 23, 2012 at 07:35 PM
this is so crazy. im so sick to my stomach. if you know of any place that is donating clothes an furnature plz let me know. an i will send the word out as well. thanks
Stacy Tucker July 23, 2012 at 07:36 PM
thats my apartment where the firefighter is in. so sad.
crystal July 24, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Stacy thanks for responding. Im very thank you guys got out alive. When i had a fire years ago the red cross gave us vouchers for meijers for clothes and for our kids to get beds. They also helped with our bed im not sure where it came from. I would also suggest going to the newspaper and have them run a ad for donations. We set up a bank account for donations and the paper ran the ad we was very blessed by the community. Please if you see Max tell him Crystal is thinking of him. If you have a email could you please post it so i could give you my number.
Awesome Bill July 25, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Stacy if u need anything you know how to contact me jason


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »