One woman was treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter was treated for fatigue as eight fire departments battled an early morning fire at Bay View apartments in downtown Milan Wednesday.
Milan Fire Chief Bob Stevens said the department got the call shortly after 1:30 a.m.
“When we arrived there was heavy fire and smoke in two apartments on the second floor,” Stevens said.
Firefighters struggled to knock down the fire because the apartment complex had multiple roofs and multiple ceilings. The extreme heat was also problematic, Stevens said.
“We had to rotate crews in and out quite often,” Stevens said.
The fire was under control within two hours he said. At 5 a.m., firefighters were still on the scene, extinguishing fire in the ceilings.
Among the departments providing aid were Saline, Pittsfield, Augusta, Raisinville, Summerfield and Dundee Township.
David Heaven, a 14-year resident of the apartment complex, said it was a difficult night for residents of the normally quiet community.
“I got a knock on the door from a neighbor telling me to get out of the apartment because there was a fire. Now I’m wondering where to go because all my stuff is in the apartment and I can’t go anywhere because my truck is blocked,” Heaven said.
Washtenaw-Lenawee and Monroe chapters of the American Red Cross responded to this incident with nine volunteers assisting 10 families and 20 individuals with food, clothing and shelter.