For those who choose to make New Year’s resolutions, health and fitness objectives are often high on the list. Fortunately for Saline residents, there are many businesses that can help with that objective.
- The Saline Recreation Center is operated by Saline Parks and Recreation. It is a full service facility, providing a gym, two pools, cardio and strength training equipment, a free-weight room, an aerobic studio for activities like Zumba and Bolly Fit, and much more. Childcare is available. It is located at 1866 Woodland Drive East, phone (734) 429-3502.
- Power House Gym is a privately owned fitness center with an array of modern strength and cardio equipment. They provide personal trainers and childcare is available. Classes are offered in Yoga, Zumba, spinning and kick boxing. It is located at 946 E Michigan Avenue, phone (734) 470-6524.
- Saline Snap Fitness provides the opportunity for a work out 24/7. It has both cardio and strength training equipment. Customers can enroll on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis. It’s located at 1359 E Michigan Ave., phone (734) 429-4567.
- Curves is a fitness center designed by and for women. Workouts are a 30-minute circuit that works all muscle groups in a low impact routine. Saline Curves is at 513 E Michigan Ave., phone (734) 429-2000.
- Jazzercise is a fun way to get fit while dancing to current hit music. The 60-minute routines combine dance aerobics with muscle toning and flexibility training. Saline Jazzercise is at 1209 Industrial Drive, phone (734) 944-6025.
- Come Dancing trains participants in ballroom dance. Though less demanding physically it combines mild exercise with coordination and balance. There are both private lessons by appointment and walk-in sessions. Come Dancing is located at 7025 E Michigan Ave., phone (734) 944-1888.
- RydeOn! Cycling Studio provides a strenuous but low-impact aerobic workout through indoor pedaling. It is located at 450 East Michigan Ave., phone (734) 316-2356.
- Saline ATA Martial Arts is training center for a Taekwondo, the Korean martial art. The Chief instructor, Senior Master Tomas Sandoval is a 7th Degree Black Belt. The trainin
g center is located at 750 Woodland Drive, phone (734) 429-5112.
- Hensel Kenpo Karate is a new martial art “dojo” (Japanese for training center) led by Michigan native Mark Hensel. Kenpo Karate is a discipline focused on personal defense, not chopping things in half. It is located at located at106 North Ann Arbor Street, phone (734) 277-1170.
Of course fitness means not only exercising but also eating well. A good place to begin improving one’s diet is at the Saline Farmers Market. The market provides fresh local produce both summer and winter. Buying from farmers markets provides pesticide-free organic produce, reduces the pollution caused by long-distance transportation and keeps money local. The winter market is located at Liberty School, 7265 Saline Ann Arbor Road.