Second Death Reported in Washtenaw County Due to Fungal Meningitis
A 62-year-old man is the fifth Michigan death due to a meningitis outbreak that began in October.
An outbreak of fungal meningitis that is now responsible for the deaths of five Michigan residents, claimed the life of a second Washtenaw County resident this week.
Officials with the Michigan Department of Community Health announced the death of a 62-year-old man on Thursday.
The Centers for Disease Control speculate that the outbreak was caused by contaminated methylprednisolone acetate (MPA) injections produced by the New England Compounding Center in Massachusetts earlier this month.
According to Ann Arbor.com, as of Thursday, there has been a total of 45 confirmed cases of fungal meningitis in Michigan.
The CDC advises patients who feel ill and are concerned they were injected with one of the recalled products to contact their physician.
Symptoms of fungal meningitis include new or worsening headache, fever, sensitivity to light, stiff neck, weakness or numbness in any part of your body, slurred speech, increased pain, redness or swelling at the injection site.