Saline Shoppers Unhappy About Losing Country Market
The grocery store will close by June 19, according to AnnArbor.com.
Polly's Country Market will close its doors by June 19, according to AnnArbor.com.
In a story published Friday morning, AnnArbor.com reported store employees were told in two meetings Thursday that the store was closing because of escalating rent, taxes and insurance costs.
Rumors about Country Market have been swirling around town all week. Calls placed to Polly's County Market officials in Jackson were not returned. Tuesday, responding to an email, company president Kim Kennedy said she'd answer questions after May 24. Messages left Thursday and Friday were not returned.
In 2011, AnnArbor.com reported that store officials blamed the opening of Wal-Mart for losing about $1 million annually in sales.
Here were some of the comments:
- Carrie Morgan Calleja: I will miss them. They were the economical choice for grocery stores in Saline. Busch's is far to expensive to shop at and Walmart has terrible produce. Its a shame we are loosing a store that had good values. Now I will have to travel outside of Saline to go shopping which will further put a strain on the budget.
- Jim Pryce: I live in Ypsilanti and I will miss Country Market. I enjoyed being able to go in get my groceries and not have to stand in long lines or deal with a stupid self checkout. All the employees are friendly and helpful.
- Wendy Williams: My girls and I will miss Country Market, we like to run in before school occasionally for a yummy donut! Sad to hear
- Kim Johnson Kaster: My family will miss Country Market. I could find things there that I couldn't find other places. I loved their produce. Their prices were great. The people are so friendly. I actually enjoyed grocery shopping there. Plus they supported many young people with disabilities. My son loved shopping there and working there. Plus I have to mention the pharmacy who always went out of there way to be helpful. This is so sad.
- Karen Johnson: We will miss Country Market too. The customer in training carts were a hit with my 7-year-old. You could also find things that other stores don't carry. Not bad prices. Busch's is too expensive when not offering the My Way Specials on certain days of the week and not every month. Although Busches is VERY active in the community, which I admire.
- Ken Schilke: It's a shame they are going....I always like the people who work there...Country Market is a down-to-earth local grocery market alternative.
- Jeanne Jacoby: This is terrible news. I won't shop at Walmart and Busch's is far too expensive for everyday shopping. So bummed.
- Sarah Gallagher: This is unfortunate news. I'll miss the convenience and their prices. We'll be shopping at Meijer.
- Jennifer Mejia Hernandez: Very Sad news! I LOVE COUNTRY MARKET!, very friendly workers, cheaper than walmart and Busch's, short lines, just all in all better!!