It's good news for Labor Day weekend travelers -- beginning at 3 p.m. today and continuing until 6 a.m. Tuesday, MDOT will suspend construction wherever possible on state roads and bridges. This will make travel easier for the 1.2 million motorists that AAA Michigan estimates will travel at least 50 miles away from home during the popular end-of-the-summer holiday, MDOT has reported on its website.
To help make this holiday weekend a safe and enjoyable one, motorists are advised to minimize distractions while driving, obey the posted speed limits, and pay close attention to road signs and orange barrels as they navigate construction zones.
"We urge all motorists to drive with caution through work zones during this busy summer holiday weekend," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle. "Be sure to plan ahead, buckle up, and put the cell phone away while driving so everyone gets to their destination safely."
Following is a list of the 44 work zones that will remain active, or have some lane restrictions, during the Labor Day holiday weekend. If necessary, detour routes will be posted at project locations.
- M-26 in Tamarack City, Houghton County, has one lane open in each direction with narrow lanes and closed shoulders.
- M-94 in Manistique, Schoolcraft County, is detoured on city streets.
- US-2 in Iron River, Iron County, is detoured on city streets.
- US-2/US-41 north of Gladstone, Delta County, has one lane open in each direction on the bridges over the CN Railroad.
- US-41, Marquette County, has one lane open in each direction between Harvey and Marquette.
- CR-100, Roscommon County, has a temporary traffic signal in place over I-75 for bridge work.
- US-23 in Oscoda, Iosco County, has lane closures and traffic shifts in effect.
- Franklin Street in Grand Rapids, Kent County, is closed over US-131.
- M-21 (Fulton Street) in Ada, Kent County, has one eastbound lane and two westbound lanes open over the Grand River.
- M-104 (Cleveland Street) in Crockery Township, Ottawa County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift.
- US-131 in Howard City, Montcalm County, has a traffic shift in place with two southbound lanes and one northbound lane open. The northbound US-131 on and off ramps will be closed at M-82, and the northbound US-131 off ramp to eastbound M-46 will be closed.
- US-131 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, has one southbound lane closed between Leonard Street and Hall Street.
- Riverside Drive in Battle Creek, Calhoun County, is closed for sewer replacement. Detour posted on Minges Road, Capital Avenue and Beckley Road.
- M-43/M-37 in Hastings, Barry County, has one lane closed from the north city limits to the Hanover Street/Green Street intersection.
- M-66 in Pennfield Township, Calhoun County, is closed over Wanadoga Creek. Detour posted on M-78, I-69, and I-94.
- M-89 in Plainwell, Allegan County, is open to eastbound traffic only. A detour is posted for westbound traffic. All US-131 lanes and ramps are open.
- M-139 in Berrien Springs, Berrien County, will have two lanes open in each direction with traffic shifted from Deans Hill Road to Hinchman Road.
- I-196, Allegan County, has one lane open in each direction from 130th Avenue to the I-196/US‐31 split. The northbound I‐196 ramps at Blue Star Highway (Exit 41) and the northbound I-196 ramp to US-31 are closed.
- Sterling Road, Arenac County, has traffic detoured over I-75.
- M-24, Lapeer County, has one lane open in both directions south of Davis Lake Road and one lane open over Plum Creek under a temporary traffic signal.
- M-25, Huron County, has traffic detoured over Harbor Beach Creek.
- M-142, Huron County, has traffic detoured over the Pigeon River.
- US-127 Business Route (BR) (Washington Road) in Ithaca, Gratiot County, has two lanes open in each direction under US-127 with a width restriction in effect.
- M-14, Washtenaw County, has two lanes open in each direction between US-23 and the Wayne County line with a traffic shift.
- M-43 (Saginaw Street) in Lansing, Ingham County, has the bridge over the Grand River closed with traffic detoured.
- M-52 in Adrian, Lenawee County, has one lane open in each direction between US-223 and South Street.
- M-52 in Manchester, Washtenaw County, has southbound traffic maintained between Dutch Drive and Austin Road with northbound traffic detoured.
- M-100 (Jefferson Street) in downtown Grand Ledge, Eaton County, is closed between Willow Highway and Bridge Street with a detour posted.
- US-23, Livingston County, has two lanes open in each direction north of M-36 near Silver Lake Road with a traffic shift.
- US-127, Ingham County, has the rest area near Holt Road closed for reconstruction.
- US-223 in Palmyra, Lenawee County, has one lane open over the River Raisin with a temporary signal.
City of Detroit
- M-85 (Fort Street) has one lane open in each direction with a center-turn lane between St. Anne Street and West Grand Boulevard.
- I-94 has three westbound lanes open over I-275 with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted.
- I-94 has two lanes open in each direction over M-39 with a traffic shift. The Pelham Road ramp to eastbound I-94 is closed. Northbound and southbound M-39 each have the left lane closed under I-94.
- I-75 has two lanes open in each direction between King and Sibley roads with all traffic shifted. In addition, the following will be closed:
- Dix-Toledo Road over I-75,
- Northbound I-75 ramp to Dix-Toledo Road,
- Southbound Dix-Toledo Road ramp to southbound I-75, and
- Northbound Dix-Toledo Road ramp to northbound I-75.
- I-275 has two lanes open in each direction between Hannan Road and Michigan Avenue, and between Warren and Plymouth roads. The Palmer, Hannan and Warren road overpasses above I-275 are closed. In addition, the following ramps will be closed:
- Eastbound Ecorse Road to southbound I-275,
- Northbound I-275 to Ecorse Road,
- Westbound US-12 to southbound I-275,
- Eastbound M-153 to northbound I-275,
- Westbound M-153 to southbound I-275, and
- Northbound I-275 exit to the rest area just south of Cherry Hill Road.
- M-85 (Fort Street) has two lanes open in each direction between Sibley and Goddard roads.
- Old M-14 (Plymouth Road) has one lane open in each direction between Market Street and Farmington Road.
- US-24 (Telegraph Road) has one lane open in each direction with a center left-turn lane between Vreeland and West roads.
- I-96 has three lanes open in each direction between Kent Lake and Milford roads with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted. In addition, the following ramps are closed:
- Northbound and southbound Kent Lake Road to westbound I-96,
- Southbound Milford Road to eastbound I-96,
- Southbound Kent Lake Road to eastbound I-96.
- M-150 (Rochester Road) has one lane open in each direction between 2nd Street and University Drive.
- US-24 BR (Cesar Chavez Drive) has all southbound lanes closed; one northbound lane is open between Montcalm Street and the Woodward Loop.
Macomb-St. Clair Counties:
- I-94 has two lanes open in each direction between 23 Mile and County Line roads with a traffic shift. In addition, one lane is closed on the two-lane ramp from eastbound I-94 to 23 Mile Road.
- I-94/I-69 has two lanes open in each direction between Pine Grove Avenue and Lapeer Road with all traffic shifted to the eastbound side of the roadway. In addition, Riverside Drive is closed under I-94/I-69 and detoured.